Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Flick Flick Hooray!

I love Flickr and I have learned so much about photography because of it. Now I can start considering the possibilities for using it with my classroom.


I signed up for Flickr about a year ago and, after Facebook, it is easily my most commonly visited site.

The most pleasant discovery for me on Flickr was the groups. I had known that it was a place to store your pictures and share them with others, but I didn't know about the groups and, most importantly, the disscussion topics within groups.

They have groups for every photography-related thing you can think of there. I have found some of the most wonderful people who have helped me immensely. I am part of the Sony Alpha A200 forum and I have learned (and now teach others) tons about the camera we have in common.

I just joined a new group that seems just as active: Alpha Strobist, a group dedicated to learning to use my brand camera with various flash units. Flickr is a great site.

I not only examined Flickr, but also Photobucket and Picassa. I like Flickr better because it is just so much bigger than the others; the community really makes Flickr what it is.

I can think right off of a couple ways to use Flickr in education. Every year I assign a project on the play we read in our textbooks, "The Diary of Anne Frank." I hadn't been as in tune with Flickr previously, but now I can recommend that they find photos on Flickr to decorate their projects as I am sure that there are photos of Anne Frank's hiding place and other things from her life.

I also know that Flickr can be a nice writing prompt. I can see students using the site to find a photo to then make up a story, or describe a scene. I am always trying to get them to use more descriptive words in their writing, so maybe if they pick the photo, they will do a better job. I think if they find the picture on their own, they will have better buy-in on the rest of the activity.

Activities such as the last one would help foster creativity and collaboration, the first of the NETS-S Standards. The fifth standard, promoting digital citizenship, is promoted as they also learn about safely using Flickr's search tools and about copyright issues involving the use of content created by others.

No comments:

Post a Comment